Create Your Own Success

Year in School: Junior
Major: Marketing
Hometown: Tinley Park, IL

Fellow Huskies,

If you are reading this, congratulations on your decision to attend NIU! You made one right choice in choosing NIU, and now it is up to you to make a second: to be successful. Success is not easily defined, as it can be as subjective as happiness. Only you can say what success is. That being said, attending NIU will put you into a position to become successful, however it is defined.

kamholz_jeffrey_fb_img_1424706445765

Whether success for you is becoming involved, getting a 4.0, passing your classes or being set up for a better future all starts from the same place: your demeanor. If you want to be successful, it will likely have to come from intrinsic motivation. If I was able to motivate everyone, I would in a heartbeat. Most motivation, however, comes from within you. The bottom line is if you want to be successful, it takes dedication, but you will be.

I started my college experience by getting very involved on campus. After tearing my ACL and meniscus halfway through my first semester, however, I had to shift my priorities from school and involvement to also include working through the pain and incredible inconveniences that my knee injury caused me. I was able to work through it all from the support of friends, professors and the NIU community as a whole.

The NIU experience is much more than going to class and graduating.

For me, success is taking advantage of everything that NIU has to offer and enjoy myself while doing it. This could range from research, to study abroad, to campus involvement, to jobs and internships and also making sure to attend every football game I can. This is my definition, and I love it.

What’s yours?

Jeffrey Kamholz

Written by Jeffrey Kamholz

I chose to come to NIU so that I would have a chance to stand out. NIU was the right choice for me because it was close to home, affordable, and gave me the chance to get involved on campus. I became a Northern Lights Ambassador my freshman year. I knew several very involved students that were NLAs and after hearing more about the program, I knew it was something I wanted to be a part of. The NLAs that I knew were some of the movers and shakers on campus, involved with so many valuable opportunities. The one piece of advice I would give is to join a club or activity. Getting involved will make your college experience exponentially better!

Website: http://www.niu.edu/engagedlearning/northern_light/14-15_nla_participants/jeffrey_kamholz.shtml