19 questions with a Huskie – Nick Glawe

Year in School: Senior
Major: Spanish Translation and Business
Hometown: Winnebago, IL

750x1000_15-Nick-Glaw-8-26-GT-31

Q: Are you reading anything good right now?
A: I am currently reading “An Abundance of Katherines.” I just read “The Fault In Our Stars” and it was great, so I decided to read another book from the same author.

Q: What’s the last song you listened to?
A: I recently listened to “You Have More Friends Than You Know” from the television show “Glee.” It’s an original in the show and I absolutely love it.

Q: What’s your favorite spot to study on campus?
A: I actually love studying in my room! I can study the best while in a closed off area. I tend to easily get distracted when there are others around me, so my closed-door room is perfect for me!

Q: Most interesting place you have traveled?
A: I would have to say Hawaii! I recently [went] there with my family and boyfriend. It was such a wonderful experience and I would love to go back (although I got very sick on the deep-sea fishing trip).

Q: If you could be any fictional character, who would you be and why?
A: ICEMAN! Iceman is a character from the comics “X-Men”. I have loved the X-Men since I was a child and Iceman has always been my favorite. I have such a fascination with super powers and I clung onto the ice powers at an early age!

Q: What are three things you could not live without?
A: One major thing that I would not be able to live without is coffee. Coffee fuels me daily and helps me be spritely and cheerful! Another thing would have to be my Beachbody workouts (such as Insanity and P90X). Health is very important to me and those workout videos I use have changed my life to be a fit person! The last thing that I could not live without would be my stuffed animal, Lily. My boyfriend gave me her a few years back and I sleep with her every night.

Q: What word or phrase do you most overuse?
A: Haha, most recently I have been overusing the word “yar.” I have been using it in place of “yes.”

Q: What makes you laugh?
A: This may sound weird, but the act of happiness makes me laugh. Seeing or feeling happiness gives me this great energy inside of my chest that just makes me want to voice my laughter.

Q: Who do you admire?
A: I admire my mother. She is my greatest supporter in life and I love her dearly. My mom works so hard in her life and wants the best for her family. She cares for others and loves unconditionally.

Q: On the weekends you like to…?
A: On the weekends I like to hang out with my boyfriend, play computer games (such as League of Legends), or to catch up on my favorite television shows!!!

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve?
A: Without a doubt, my biggest pet peeve has to be lying. Trust is important to me and is the one thing that helps build bridges in relationships.

Q: What quality do you most admire in a classmate?
A: I think that aiming for effort is really important to me when it comes to classmates. I understand that there are some that find it difficult to grasp certain concepts, but really trying to comprehend a concept is admirable.

Q: What quality do you most admire in a professor?
A: When a professor cares, it makes a class much more enjoyable and comforting. Knowing that my professor cares for how well I do in a class makes me want to work and study harder.

Q: What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned at NIU?
A: I have learned to be myself at NIU. This university has shown me that I can express my individuality and that there is no one else out there that is like me! I feel so independent and free while attending this university and it makes me so happy.

Q: What was some advice a person gave you when you were young that you still hold onto today?
A: I remember my mom always telling me that “family is everything.” She tells me that we will always have family to be there for us and that I need to always be there for them. There are always going to be people that I meet in my life that stick around for a while and there will be those that pass by, but family is FOREVER.

Q: What is the best part about working on campus?
A: Working on campus has given me the chance for so many opportunities. I connect with so many incoming freshman and with other coworkers in my field. I am able to speak with professionals who give me advice on how to approach my present and future. There is always someone around me in my life here on campus that can be beneficial in at least one way.

Q: What is your favorite advice to share with first year students?
A: My favorite advice to share with first year students is to get involved. My freshman year I was not involved at all. I wanted to get on my feet here at NIU and I did not want to get overwhelmed, but as my years went on, I fell into where I needed to be and felt so included into the NIU community.

Q: What do you want to do after NIU?
A: I do not yet know what I want to do after graduation. I graduate this upcoming spring and I do not know if I want to continue with my education or to put myself out in the work field. I plan on getting that settled during this fall semester.

Q: Where’s your favorite place to eat on or near campus?
A: CHINA HOUSE. I love this place. It is a $10 buffet with much sushi and much food. Sushi is almost my favorite food and I can acquire as much as possible while I am there. I visit China House very often.

Written by People of NIU