Proud Latino and Proud NIU Huskie!

My name is Reynaldo Sustaita, and I am a Broadcast Journalism major and proud Latino at NIU. Latino Heritage Month is really a reflection of where Latinos have come from, as well as a look into our future.

750x1000_sustaita_reynaldo

When I was a senior in high school, I knew I wanted to be a journalist. After a nationwide search, NIU turned out to be the best fit for me. The journalism program is great, and there are additional opportunities like the Northern Broadcasting Center and the Northern Star. Plus, NIU is close to home, and I am getting to know so many new people in my major.

I am a first generation college student. Another wonderful asset of NIU is the Latino Resource Center. I remember talking to a representative who mentioned to me how diversity is valued with all the resource centers on campus. To know that I have a place where other Latinos can hang out makes me a lot more comfortable in my new environment. The LRC has been a part of my life for two years, and I don’t regret my involvement with the center a single day.

Latino Heritage Month is not just a time to reflect on the heritage of Latinos, but a time to celebrate and inspire other Latinos to do other great things for our community. Be it at NIU or in their own community, Latino Heritage Month is about unity and perseverance through cultural recognition. I am proud to be a Latino, and proud to be an NIU Huskie.

Written by Reynaldo Sustaita