19 questions with a Huskie – Sergio Gutierrez

Year in School: Senior
MajorCommunication Studies
Hometown: Chicago, IL

750x1000_15-Sergio_Gutierrez-Huskie_Tales-1020-WD-57

Q: Are you reading anything good right now?
A: I have recently read a book called “Light” which was the ending of a six-series book to the “Gone” trilogy, written by Michael Grant.

Q: What’s the last song you listened to?
A: The last song I listened to was a Reggeaton song called “Travesuras” by Nicky Jam.

Q: What’s your favorite spot to study on campus?
A: My favorite spot on campus to study is the Latino Resource Center’s Lab.

Q: Most interesting place you have traveled?
A: The most interesting place I have traveled to is a cenote in Quintana Roo, Mexico.

Q: If you could be any fictional character, who would you be and why?
A: If I could be any fictional character, I would like to be the guys from Wanted. It would be awesome to have the ability to think at thousands of milliseconds and then react quickly before anyone could.

Q: What are three things you could not live without?
A: The three things I cannot live without have to be music, milk and running.

Q: What word or phrase do you most overuse?
A: “Anything else?” I enjoy running a lot of meetings, and make sure everyone has said what they have to say for a certain issue.

Q: What makes you laugh?
A: My own clumsiness makes me laugh. There are times when I just keep rambling off random thoughts and think to myself, “How did I get here?”

Q: Who do you admire?
A: My own family, especially my parents are people who I admire. Their life lessons and hardships are what I have learned and make me what I am today.

Q: On the weekends you like to…?
A: On weekends I like to sleep in, workout and catch up on homework.

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve?
A: One of my biggest pet peeves is wearing a shirt with a stretched collar and how it doesn’t look right.

Q: What quality do you most admire in a classmate?
A: A quality I admire the most in a classmate is when they engage in the conversation in class. That they do not just show up to class and sit there while not paying any attention.

Q: What quality do you most admire in a professor?
A: A quality that I love in a professor is when they engage with the students; using outside stories, jokes and moving around the class to get the class involved. When one teacher just sits in the front reading off a PowerPoint, it makes the class pointless because we can all do that via Blackboard.

Q: What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned at NIU?
A: The biggest lesson I have learned at NIU is to be flexible to adapt to change. There are so many issues that can happen suddenly. Help from students and/or faculty and even the forgetting of certain homework that you need to jump on if need be.

Q: What was some advice a person gave you when you were young that you still hold onto today?
A: My parents have told me and still tell me, “Hay tiempo para todo.” This translates to, “There is time for everything.” There is time to do everything; social, academic and relaxing. One needs to make their priorities straight by finishing what they need to do and then have fun with their extra and leftover time.

Q: What is the best part about working on campus?
A: The best part about working on campus is that I don’t have to travel. But the fact that I can schedule my hours around my class schedule is awesome too. Also the fact that I get to meet a lot of awesome and new people is definitely a plus!

Q: What is your favorite advice to share with first year students?
A: Get involved! The amount of lessons and resource one learns and obtains from being involved can help one get far on campus and in life.

Q: What do you want to do after NIU?
A: I want to have an enjoyable career that I love doing; travel around the world, go to the World Cup and start my own family soon after.

Q: Where’s your favorite place to eat on or near campus?
A: Texas Roadhouse. Delish!

Written by People of NIU