19 questions with a Huskie – Kalenna Kaske

Year in School: Senior
MajorCommunity Leadership and Civic Engagement
Hometown: Belvidere, IL

1000x750_15-Kaske_Kalenna-1029-RB-21

Q: Are you reading anything good right now?
A: At the moment, I am not reading anything.  I love to read but typically don’t have time to read during the semester. When I read, I am one that becomes consumed by the story and cannot focus on anything other than that story until I am finished. That being said, Thanksgiving break, winter break and spring break are really the only chances that I get to do my reading, but that just makes me look forward to break even more.

Q: What’s the last song you listened to?
A: “Photograph” by Ed Sheeran.

Q: What’s your favorite spot to study on campus?
A:
My favorite study spot on campus would have to be the College Grind in the HSC or a quiet place elsewhere in the Student Center.

Q: Most interesting place you have traveled?
A:
The most interesting place that I have traveled would be Italy. It was all that I could have imagined and more! I loved being able to meet my great uncles and their families that still live in Italy as well as seeing all of the beautiful history and architecture.

Q: If you could be any fictional character, who would you be and why?
A: This is very hard for me to answer because I honestly have no idea. It would probably be someone who is a free spirit and travels all over. I say this because I would love to travel all over the world and wish that I was more carefree. That being said, I do truly love the person that I am and life that I have so I am not sure that I would want to be anyone else.

Q: What are three things you could not live without?
A:
Three things that I could not live without would be my family, friends and coffee!

Q: What word or phrase do you most overuse?
A:
I would say that I most overuse the phrase “I’m Sorry” or “Sorry.” It is a very bad habit that I just can’t seem to kick. I am constantly reminded that there is no need to say sorry most time. While I have gotten a bit better at this, it is still popping up in my vocabulary more than I would like.

Q: What makes you laugh?
A:
Honestly, extremely goofy people. I find that I surround myself with some of the goofiest most interesting people because I know that I will always be laughing and in a good mood around them.

Q: Who do you admire?
A:
This may be cliché but I most admire my mom and dad because they are the hardest working people that I know, have sacrificed an immense amount for my sister and me and also managed to find the perfect balance between being a parent and a friend with us. I hope to be nearly as great of a parent as they are one day.

Q: On the weekends you like to…?
A: I am fairly busy during the week so by the time the weekend comes I typically enjoy a relaxing weekend being with my family or friends.

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve?
A: It is tough to choose my biggest pet peeve because I have several little peeves but I would say that my biggest would have to be people who are downright rude and impolite for no reason at all. That said, I try to remember that we all have those days and maybe it is just a rough day for them.

Q: What quality do you most admire in a classmate?
A: I strongly admire students that participate and contribute during a class period. There is no such thing as a productive and educational discussion if no one is contributing.

Q: What quality do you most admire in a professor?
A: I love when professors make their courses engaging and interactive for their students. This is when I learn best and it helps to hold my attention.

Q: What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned at NIU?
A:
I must say that my experiences in academically and in my involvement have really taught me how to be adaptable. Coming into NIU, I was someone who would get extremely anxious if things didn’t go as planned. But college has taught me that most times, nothing goes as planned. I still get a teensy bit anxious but I much more easily go with the flow and adjust to any changes in plans now. This is something that I can take with me after graduation as well; life is unpredictable and always changing.

Q: What was some advice a person gave you when you were young that you still hold onto today?
A: One piece of advice that I was given when I was young that I still hold onto today is to always be yourself. Growing up there were a few instances where I tried to fit into a crowd and soon got tired of not entirely embracing who I was. I love myself and learned that I don’t need to try to fit in because I would rather have several groups of friends whom I can be myself with than one group of friends where I have to pretend to be someone different.

Q: What is the best part about working on campus?
A: I would have to say that my favorite part of working on campus is being able to interact with so many different students and faculty members. I love meeting new people and my on campus job gives me the perfect opportunity to do just that.

Q: What is your favorite advice to share with first year students?
A: My favorite advice to share with first year students is that while making sure to do well academically, absolutely get involved! It may take a while to find a place that feels like home but I promise that there is a place for you within the many organizations here at NIU. You will learn so much about yourself and gain diverse experiences.

Q: What do you want to do after NIU?
A:
After I graduate in May I have a few options that I am choosing between right now. I plan to go either go straight through graduate school for Student Affairs or take a year or two off to work in the non-profit field. I have a passion for both which makes the decision difficult.

Q: Where’s your favorite place to eat on or near campus?
A: My favorite place to eat on or near campus would be Vinny’s Pizza.

Written by People of NIU