19 questions with a Huskie – Kay Nohelty

Year in School: Junior
Major: Psychology
Hometown: Des Plaines, IL

16-Kay-Nohelty-0325-SW-01_smaller

Q: Are you reading anything good right now?
A: Does a cognitive psychology textbook count?! Even though I love to read mystery novels, I’ve been so busy that I haven’t found time to start a really good one. Harlan Coben is my favorite author, though.

Q: What’s the last song you listened to?
A: “Gypsy” by Fleetwood Mac. One of my favorite bands, especially while studying or relaxing in my room.

Q: What’s your favorite spot to study on campus?
A: My favorite spot to study on campus would have to be Starbucks on Lincoln Highway. I’m usually the most productive when I have a constant flow of warm drinks, and the atmosphere keeps me focused.

Q: Most interesting place you have traveled?
A: One trip I took with my family was to Sanibel Island in Florida, and I’ll never forget how amazing it was to float in the water and only be able to hear the gulls above me. That day it was pretty empty on the beach, so it felt like we had the whole island to ourselves.

Q: If you could be any fictional character, who would you be and why?
A: I would be Phoebe Buffay from FRIENDS! She and I have similar values and personalities. Her love for unique things, individuality, undying loyalty, compassion, and quick wit are all things I love about her and find in myself too.

Q: What are three things you could not live without?
A: My relationships, art, and coffee!

Q: What word or phrase do you most overuse?
A: “Yikes,” “Guess what?!” or “Wanna get Starbucks?”

Q: What makes you laugh?
A: To be honest, it’s hard to pick one thing because I laugh at A LOT of random things. But when I need a pick me up, watching a couple episodes of The Office is the go-to show for me!

Q: Who do you admire?
A: I’ve always admired my Godfather/Uncle Sean. He has lead such a successful life, career-wise and in every other aspect of his life. He has such compassion for his family and life in general. He has one of the most generous hearts I’ve ever known and I am so blessed to have him in my life. He inspires me to be the best version of myself and to always pay it forward in life.

Q: On the weekends you like to…?
A: I LOVE to paint, play games with my residents, hang out with my friends, go shopping, get caught up with homework, or spend hours lounging in my room with Netflix.

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve?
A: I can’t stand when people pretend to be someone they are not. Being true to who YOU are is one of the biggest gifts you are given in life, and it makes me sad when people will try to change who they are to try and fit in to what they think is cool. Life is so much more fun when you don’t have to constantly hide who you are!

Q: What quality do you most admire in a classmate?
A: I admire classmates that respect the professor and don’t whisper the whole time. It’s disheartening to me when students will sit in the back and talk the whole time. Why even bother coming to class?

Q: What quality do you most admire in a professor?
A: I admire professors that have passion about what they’re teaching and are genuine to the students. I have a cognitive psychology instructor that teaches with high energy and excitement every day and it in turn makes me more excited to learn!

Q: What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned at NIU?
A: The biggest lesson I’ve learned at NIU is to live up to my potential more and that I can achieve anything I want. I came into my freshman year without a lot of self-confidence or motivation to be the best I could be. After I got involved in the Residence Hall Association and the National Residence Hall Honorary, I became a part of something I enjoyed, and everything else began to fall into place. I will be forever grateful to NIU for helping me blossom into who I am today!

Q: What was some advice a person gave you when you were young that you still hold onto today?
A: When I was younger, I used to hate a freckle that I have on my foot. But my Mom would tell me that someday I’d meet someone who would love everything about me, even that freckle on my foot. So I stopped hating it and learned to love myself from that point on.

Q: What is the best part about working on campus?
A: As a Community Advisor I meet tons of new people every day on campus! Creating a strong network between students and professional staff has become something I thoroughly enjoy.

Q: What is your favorite advice to share with first year students?
A: Try new things!!!! You never know what kind of things or activities you actually enjoy until you put yourself out there and broaden your horizons. Also, don’t be afraid to make friends with people who are different than you. Embrace and celebrate diversity!

Q: What do you want to do after NIU?
A: My ultimate dream is to be an Art Therapist, but after NIU I will attend Graduate school (hopefully at NIU too!), to become a licensed counselor for a school or private practice!

Q: Where’s your favorite place to eat on or near campus?
A: I love eating at The Junction. They have a huge menu and the atmosphere is so comforting. I go so often with my friends that we actually have a favorite waitress. Shout-out to Viviana! You rock!

Written by People of NIU